Register a Pavilion
The Bangkok Biennial is made up of whatever is made by all the people who choose to join it in any given situation and so it is a way to look at the state of contemporary art in the time that it happens, every time it happens. In effect, it is organically shaped by the context of the time in which it takes place, by the zeitgeist.
The Bangkok Biennial has no central curator or dictation. We believe this reflects and echoes the mood and general exasperation in regard to power mongering in every sphere of top-down dictatorial structures seen in contemporary Thailand, the region and perhaps the entire world at this moment.
Anyone can register and achieve a pavilion as part of Bangkok Biennial 2020.
Please read the rest of this page carefully- it contains everything you will need to prepare to register a pavilion as part of Bangkok Biennial 2020. All this information is also available for download as PDF document in English or Thai.
At the bottom of this page is a link to register a pavilion as part of Bangkok Biennial 2020.
Some important dates
you’ll need to know:
The First Registration Period: April 6th - Sept 15th, 2020:
During this time you will be able to register your pavilion online at bangkokbiennial.com/register
See below for a list of everything you will need to prepare to register.
The Bangkok Biennial
Bangkok Biennial 2020 will run between three time-based contexts and take a sequential/episodic/modular approach to the biennial format over the course of a year. The three periods of BB2020 are:
1 – Oct 31st-Nov 21st 2020,
2 – March 13th-April 3rd 2021
3 – Sept 17th-Oct 9th 2021
Please see our Statement of BB2020's Schedule & Format here. and please write to us at bbteam@ bangkokbiennial.com should you have any questions or concerns.
Materials required for registering
a pavilion in Bangkok Biennial 2020
Section #1: Main details
• Name of Pavilion
• Brief description of the pavilion (maximum 250 characters)
• Longer description of pavilion (curatorial statement, etc)
• Artist(s) involved
• Individual artist’s links (website, portfolio, etc)
• Short Bio of each artist (Max 250 words)
• One image of each artist’s work
• Curator(s) involved (if applicable)
• Individual curators’ links (website, portfolio, etc)
• Short Bio of each curator (Max 250 words)
• Organizations/Groups/Collectives/ Etc involved (if applicable)
• Organizations/Groups/Collectives/ Etc links (website, portfolio, etc)
• Short Bio of each Organization/ Group/Collective/Etc (Max 250 characters)
Section #2: Logistics
• Contact Person’s name
• Contact Person’s Email (will not be made public)
*Is the Contact Person willing to be contacted by the media
for interviews or other information they may be interested in? Y/N
• Pavilion website
• Public email
• Other contacts (public)
• Mailing address (private, only used if we need to send you materials
such as posters or guidebooks, etc)
Will your pavilion have a physical location?
If Yes: Have you already secured your venue? Y/N
• Street Address
• Google Maps link to venue
• Opening Hours
• Telephone number
If No: Would you like to be added to a register of Pavilions Seeking Venues?
Pavilions should create social media identities specifically for the pavilion, rather than using existing pages for your previous/existing work (those pages can be listed above in the curators/artists/organizers’s individual links).
Other Information (not for public)
• Sponsors/funders/grants/etc (confirmed/not confirmed?)
• Countries/nationalities involved
• Where did you hear about the Bangkok Biennial?
Section #3: Open Call
We encourage pavilions to use open calls to further broaden the reach and scope of the work within your pavilion and within the biennial. We will be actively promoting all of the various open calls from pavilions.
Will your pavilion involve any kind of Open Call? (Y/N) If yes
• Short text for open call
(maximum 250 characters)
• Longer description of Open Call
• URL for more information (website, social media link)
• Describe the submission requirements and process in 250 words or less
• List what your pavilion will provide to selected artists
• Public Email
• Phone number
• Other Public Contacts
Section #4: Support Materials
• Upload 3-5 publicity images (without text). Permission must be granted
to BB to use images for publicity, minimum file size 1 - 2 mb. Label the images by BB2020_Pavilion_Artist_ Titleofwork.jpg
• Upload 1-2 poster images to represent the pavilion.
• Youtube or vimeo links for video material
• Links for audio material (soundcloud, bandcamp, etc)